Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A Bit of Toy Soldier Fun! II

     I finished up another Toy Soldier yesterday. This time he is a 40mm semi-flat Napoleonic French Guard soldier. While I am overall happy with him, I would change some things if I could do him all over again.



     Sorry, for my desk top looking so messy, but I am desperate need of more paint storage. I have more colors than I can store (or use) and I hate just putting them away into "deep" storage boxes, for they surely will never get used. I have been simultaneously painting some GHQ 1/2400 World War II Royal Navy ships, and the odd soldier or two has made for a good inbetween breather. Having previously completed two other figures, I foolishly failed to photograph them. Sadly, one has already been broken by the owners. :-( Oh well, they are meant as gifts, and so away from my paint desk (and its relative safety) they must go!

     I have decided to experiment (no, not with anything illicit) on shifting away from my beloved 10mm scale and moving into 28mm. The other day I placed an order for a sampling order of 12, 28/30mm British light infantryman from Fife & Drum Miniatures after having been badgered (in a good way) one too many times to shift to a larger scale. Believe it or not, SWMBO has stated how she likes larger figures on a tabletop and does not mind the price increase incurred??? I know, it must be a trap! :-D Anyway, I am sure that as long as I don't create too large of an unpainted lead mountain, the price difference can't hurt that much.

8 comments:

  1. I think it looks great. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment. I stopped by your blog today, you are definitely skillful with a brush!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great figure and very nicely painted ! That's a new one on me, who makes it ?!

    Regards,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve,
    Thanks for the kind comment. He is a rather nice casting, isn't he? Unfortunately, I couldn't say who it is or isn't. The guy at work who has been bringing me the figures might know. I believe he still owns a mold for it. I'll ask him and get back with you on this thread. By the way, I really like your toy soldier blog. I have been following Louis Quatorze for a while and hadn't seen your 2nd blog before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, David.

    Thanks for the feedback on my blog. So far as Louis Quatorze goes, I'm afraid I've supported Ralphus most poorly there.

    Yes, please do post up if you can reveal the origin of this figure. I'd be gratified to find out. Your other two 40mm examples are Meisterzinn and Prince August but this excellent Old Guard grenadier opens the door to the tantalizing possibility that there may be a new player in 40mm home casting. Possibly Creartec but the style is different.

    Regards,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve,
    I found out the company. They are sadly now defunct and were called Scad. Here is a link with the moulds they once produced. http://www.figuren-modellbau.de/scad.html
    They were possibly picked up by Airfix at one point and might be listed under that name as well. They chap at work says he owns nearly all of the moulds as were sold under Scad. He said they often are sold on the Berliner Zinnfiguren website under the flea market. http://www.zinnfigur.com/index.php?cPath=9&ID=9&sort=1d&osCsid=jeul481eeqma950pudmhj9bna0

    Good hunting! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. David,

    Thanks so much. Hadn't heard of Scad, but your post clears up a lot. Looks like they had a nice 40mm selection back in the day. Looks like I'll have to keep an eye on the BZ Flea Market from time to time.

    Thanks again for your efforts.

    Regards,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete