Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Hobby Desk, [well, corner actually!]

     Yesterday, I was catching up on two excellent blog sites (Der Alte Fritz Journal, Tarleton's Quarter), and I caught on to a common theme. Both had photos of their work stations which is a photo subject I always enjoy. Feeling inspired, I snapped a few pics of my own.


     I know, I know, it's a very small space. I like to think it's proportional to the amount of work I actually produce! LOL It also seems rather clean, which can appear a bit unrealistic, but actually it is very realistic. In preparation, I spent about a minute swapping out the white cloth for a fresh one! As you can see by the size and location of the area (one end of a writing desk in a corner of the living room), I have to keep it in a high state of police at all times.

     The machinist's toolbox is the soul of my operation. It was made by my great-grandfather, a tool and die maker by trade. My father (a third generation machinist) restored it as a gift, and I use it proudly everyday. It's filled with my collection of tools and the odd supply. I utilize Vallejo acrylic paints along with their excellent Kolinsky Sable brushes. I know that plenty of painters achieve great results with less expensive brushes, but I bet they can do even better with a higher quality one.

     I've tried a multitude of cheaper brands, and while they all performed well at first, this is where the pack begins to break up. Some last a bit longer than others, but none can last beyond a mere fraction of the life of a Kolinsky. I swear, comedian George Burns may have lived to be 99 years old, but these Kolinskys are going to give him a chase! I once thought that paint brushes were just another routine expense in building an army, now I can spend the saved money on more minis for the old lead mountain. I used to live in fear of the day [that always came too soon] when a favorite brush would give out, laying lifeless and frazzled on my desktop hoping for that second career with a chimney sweep.


     Also in view are a few boxes that remain stacked on the floor ready to be opened, and from them, retrieved some unpainted lead or perhaps a "lot" of unpainted lead! I also offer a picture of my book case, really it is just the right half. The wife is a consumate reader. Oh, and the helmets are mine too! An unissued condition US M1 steel pot made sometime around 1943, and a restored French M26 Adrian.


     I have plenty more books where these came from, but being in an apartment, they are mostly in storage out in the garage. I have ready access to them all, which is a comfort, but it would be nice to see them on shelves.

     In a handful of more years, I will retire from the Army which will allow me a permanent home, and hopefully a lot more room with it! If you like this post, please be tempted to make a blog entry on your own work area. Oh, and if you do, please let me know in the comments with a link. I'll be sure to surf by!

1 comment:

  1. I loved the story and pics of your workspace and toolbox. That is so cool that its been passed down to you! I need to organize my painting space a better.

    And like you, I adore my Vallejo Kolinsky Sables. Keep on painting!

    ReplyDelete